Welcome to the Junior Secondary and Language Faculties.
The term ‘Junior Secondary' refers to formal education that is both responsive and appropriate to the developmental needs of young adolescents. Generally speaking, this particular type of education at Centenary Heights State High School is based on the development of strong and productive relationships.
· engaged, focused and achieving adolescents;
· effective curriculum, teaching and organisational practices; and
· genuine partnerships and long term support with a focus on developing positive working relationships.
1. Students engaged in higher order and critical thinking, problem-solving and life-long learning.
2. Students managing their own learning through a curriculum that values their past experiences, and is connected to the real world and possible futures.
3. Connected curriculum and assessment opportunities that are authentic and reflective.
4. Success for every student.
5. Co-operative learning and collaborative teaching.
6. Heterogenous and flexible student groupings.
7. Emphasis on strong teacher-student and student-student relationships through extended contact with a small number of teachers and a consistent student cohort.
8. Parental and community involvement in student learning.
At Centenary Heights we are fortunate enough to offer two languages other than English - Mandarin Chinese and German. Students in Years 7 and 8 study a semester of each language and can elect to continue their study in one, or both languages right through to the completion of Year 12.
Heads of Year: Tim O'Connell, Tiffany Story and Trent O'Brien
Assistant Head of Year: Stephanie Waite